From 1 October 2019, some visitors and transit passengers must have an Electronic Travel Authority and pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy before travelling to NZ.
NZeTA and IVL for visa waiver travellers
Before you travel to New Zealand, check if you need an New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA). You may also have to pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL).
The NZeTA will:
- improve the way travellers are assessed before they arrive in New Zealand, and
- help reduce the time needed for border clearance and strengthen border security.
The IVL is a way for travellers to contribute directly to the tourism infrastructure they use and to help protect and enhance the natural environment they will enjoy during their stay in New Zealand.
Who needs an NZeTA
You must request an NZeTA before you travel to New Zealand if you are:
- visiting or in transit from a visa waiver country — that is, a country whose passport holders do not need to get a visa before they arrive in New Zealand
- travelling on a passport from a visa waiver country or a transit visa waiver country, and you will be in transit through Auckland International Airport
- a cruise ship passenger, regardless of your nationality, or
- a permanent resident of Australia.
Who does not need an NZeTA
You do not need an NZeTA to travel to New Zealand if you:
- must apply for a New Zealand visa before you travel
- already hold a valid New Zealand visa
- are a New Zealand citizen travelling on:
- a New Zealand passport, or
- a foreign passport with an endorsement — for example, to say you are a permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand
- are an Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport.
When to request an NZeTA and pay your IVL
Request your NZeTA well in advance of your trip to New Zealand. It can take us up to 72 hours to approve your NZeTA. If you do not hold an NZeTA when you check in for your flight or cruise you will not be allowed to board.
You may be able to request an NZeTA when you check in, but if INZ cannot process your request in time or if they decline it, then you will not be allowed to board.
From July 2019 you can request your NZeTA and pay your IVL
There will be 2 ways to request an NZeTA and pay the IVL.
- Download our app to your mobile phone.
- Complete the form on INZ website.
The app and website form will be available from July 2019.
How much they cost
An NZeTA costs:
- NZD$9 for requests submitted using our mobile app
- NZD$12 for requests using the website form.
The IVL costs NZD$35 for each person travelling to New Zealand and is charged in the same transaction as your NZeTA.
Your NZeTA and IVL are valid for multiple visits and up to 2 years.